Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I am a Simple Woman

If any of you were asked to describe me with just five adjectives, "simple" would probably not be one of them(but "random" might be after reading this). But as I have been recently pointing out to Chris, I am actually a very simple woman. Take food for instance, that's simple enough. I can appreciate (and even make) a Souffle, Creme Brulee, Flourless Chocolate Torte with Fresh Raspberry Coulis, a great Cheesecake, or even Blueberry Mascarpone Crepes but again my favorite desserts would still be a perfect Chocolate Malt (thanks Grandma and Grandpa for that) or I am perfectly happy winding down at the end of the day with a big bowl of Ice Cream (it doesn't even have to be Baskin-Robbins). And there is no snack better than a tall glass of milk, and a plate of cookies. I love a big breakfast with bacon, eggs, hash browns, and since we are talking about what really makes me happy, let's add a hot scone with honey butter to that. Who doesn't like a fancy dinner, or an expensive meal? But I can be just as happy with a good crunchy taco, pot roast, crunchy fried chicken, or what can be more satisfying than a pot of homemade stew, or even a simple bowl of spaghetti and meatballs? Anyone else getting hungry?

I know that's a lot about food but that's only because the one thing in life that truly makes me happy anytime is a good meal, with good people, and good conversation filled with real laughter! In other words, what makes me happy? Apparently, it's the combination of family, friends, fun, and food! I guess that is part of why I love cooking, and being the hostess! It enables me to share what makes me happy with others, and if I can create the atmosphere, or food that puts a smile on someone else's face, I guess it's even worth doing the dishes that follow. That includes my own little family, dinner time can easily become a chore, but on the days that I can remember the bigger picture of the opportunity to serve my little family and show my love in the kitchen- it's all worth it (not to mention enjoying the benefits of the lost art of family meal time).

I've heard at different times in my life, that I am capable of anything I want to do. By the world's standards, I'm probably not a very successful woman (admittedly by my own, I'm not either, my expectations have always been very high, but that is for a whole other blog) but I don't measure by the world's standards so in my simple world, I am successful in the respect that I'm trying and progressing in becoming a better wife, mother, homemaker, sister, daughter, friend, teacher- woman. As women, we wear lot's of hats and juggle many responsibilities- and feel a sense of necessity in wearing each and every one of these hats perfectly at the same time. I don't always remember this, but have learned and will relearn that the key isn't in wearing every hat perfectly at the same time, but to remember that there is a time and a season, and the key is balance. We have to learn to juggle and prioritize. We have to learn at the end of the day to be happy with the items we crossed off our to-do list, and not regret the few we didn't. We have to learn to be in the moment. Just today I had to remind myself that it was more important to sit and watch "Barbie and the Diamond Castle" with Claire simply because she asked me to- the dishes would still be in the sink when it was done, and they were just going to multiply anyway. Claire is going to be five tomorrow, and I have to remember that probably too soon, she'll be trying to get rid of me during a movie instead of asking me to stay, so I will try to treasure those little moments when I can... But at the end of the day, if my house is not a disaster, and Chris and the kids are fed and happy, and I did a little better than the day before... than I can say that I'm getting closer to being the successful woman that I want to become.

And as long as I can find a minute or two (amongst my other responsibilities) to express my creativity in whatever mode I'm in the mood for, than again, I'm happy. Whether it's quilting, cooking, scrapbooking, decorating my house (my biggest white canvas), or even planning a party- give me a simple creative outlet and I'm good to go!

And some final random, simple thoughts- I'd like to think that my simple views extend beyond myself. I wouldn't say that I'm a very judgmental person, I generally like to see the best in other's, and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt... So I don't expect a lot, mutual respect and kindness maybe. I'm sure the whole world would be a better place if more people would just listen, and "Be Nice!" So they might be random, but there are your confessions and musings for the day... and yes, I am a simple woman, and proud to be one!

9 comments:

T.J. Shelby said...

A very refreshing posting on comparing our self-image with our internal perspective on who we should be and then trying to balance those while focusing our priorities on the things that matter.

One thing I will say about you Heidi is that you are the eternal optimist. One of the most hilarious evenings I can remember is the night you and Chris returned from Comic-Con and the four of us stayed up until the wee hours of the morning playing Quelf. Uneasiness quickly became laughter which transitioned into tears of hilarity.

I remember a Zig Ziglar quote from a conference I attended and it now reminds me of you. He said, "I'm so optimistic, I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and bring my own tartar sauce." Anyhow, great post!

Heidi Maloy said...

T- Thanks for the nice comment... and I agree, that late night game of Quelf was one of the funnest and funniest of probably my whole life! I will NEVER forget yours and Chris' game of leap frog... that's the only time I can remember stopping something fun because our faces hurt too much from laughing so hard- in the very literal and painful sense-
Good times! You know, if you happened to move to Utah, we could probably have all sorts of fun ;)

Christopher Maloy said...

This was a fantastic post Heidi. I get to be around you all the time and I forget to realize how great you are.

Our awesome home seems so normal and commonplace when in reality your simple outlook and approach to life has truly created a diamond in the ruff.

Lots of love baby.

Nicole Shelby said...

heidi - i've actually read this several times since this morning. and it's just such a beautiful post by a truly remarkable woman (inside and out) that anything i would write would just be trite or anticlimactic or something.

so, i'll just say this: i admire you. you inspire me. your family is crazy lucky to have you as their mother and wife. i am crazy lucky to have you as my sister and friend.

so many of us women feel inadequate and not "enough" - but, you show us someone who may sometimes feel as we do, but is so successful at who we all want to be - and so modest about it.

i think it's also important for me to remember - i look at you and it seems like everything is just so easy for you - that it might be difficult for you to, you just work so hard and never give up and have a vision of how you'd like life to be.

thank you.

Connie H said...

Simple, I still don't find you simple. One of the five words I would use for you is focused! You truly do see the bigger picture, and out of good, better, best you choose BEST. The world can't see the best so they settle for the material, the immediate. You are a true inspiration too all who know you. Thanks for being such a great woman and daughter of God. Thanks for being my daughter.

I LOVE you forever.

MOM

Jodi Jean said...

WOW ... what a geat post. definately a LOT to think about.

you're amazing and i agree with all the comments from everyone else.

LOVE ya sista'!

Haddorkus said...

I like what you said here. Being a mom can be tough but with the right perspective it is so worth it.

Right there at the end you wrote something I am a huge fan of. The benefit of the doubt. I truly believe that is one of the greatest gifts you can give someone. Your spouse in an argument, that rude server in a restaurant one day, it goes on forever. Just giving the benefit of the doubt that its not personal and not aimed at you changes everything.

Kemari said...

This is refreshing to read! very helpful to me this week. Lets add that you dont gain an ounce while you eat those wonderful things! I will not drop it!!!!

Heidi said...

WOW! Couldnt have said anything better. That was a wonderful post and so meaningful.

You are a wonderful person, mom, and a great addition to the WORLD...in all standards. I hope I can always be the same.